Fudge…A tasteful delicacy that delights every sweet tooth and brings your taste buds to life.
Today’s post is not about fudge I am afraid, but rather a bit of bitter-sweet realism and optimism.
About two weeks ago I was unfortunately a target at a local atm. Four men followed me into the local garage, distracted me and took my card without me seeing. By the time I got home 5 minutes later to block my card on the banking app and to call the bank, R1000 had already been drawn out of my account.
I was in total shock as this has never happened to me before and it happened so quick. I am always cautious when it comes to drawing money, but how can you prepare for something like this? Well with the festive season around the corner theft, muggings and hijackings are on the rise. Once bitten twice the wiser I’d say. From my experience I did some research and compiled a short list on how you can protect yourself and your belongings this festive season, or where you can go to for help:
At the ATM:
- When you approach the atm ensure that no one is following you. If someone is then rather refrain from drawing money until they are gone.
- Do not use ATM’s where the card slot, keypad or screen has been tampered with.
- Do not insert your card if the screen layout is not familiar to you.
- Cover your pin and keep an eye on your card at all times.
- If someone taps you on the shoulder or tries to speak to you, just ignore them.
- Do not let anyone assist you at the ATM.
- Do not share or show your password to anyone.
- If you feel threatened and if possible call for help.
- Phone your bank immediately with the numbers provided on the ATM. If you have your phone then block your card through your banking app.
- When applying for a new bank card, change your PIN.
- Lower your daily withdrawal limit on your card if possible. This will limit the amount of money drawn out of your account, if this happens to you.
I also reported the matter to my local police station.
Please be safe this festive season.
This article was a mash up of bitter and sweet content, but at the end of the day nothing beats the sweetness of good ol homemade fudge. So because you are amazing here is the recipe I use for yummy homemade fudge:
- 1 x 397g tin condensed milk
- 500ml sugar
- 25ml golden syrup
- 40ml water
- 60g butter
- 5ml vanilla
- Combine all the ingredients in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove dry crystals from side of saucepan with a wet pastry brush. Do not boil.
- Bring to boil and allow to boil very slowly for 20-25 minutes with constant stirring.
- Test readiness by dropping a little mixture into cold water. When it reaches the soft ball stage it is ready.
- Remove from stove. Beat in vanilla until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Pour into 25cm x 38cm greased baking tray.
- Mark into squares. Allow to set and cool.
I would love to hear what your favourite tasty treats are, so please leave me a comment or drop me an email.
When you’re a kid, you’re not as corrupted by the world at large. You’re not corrupted by prejudices. You’re much more open-minded. Much more interested in the world around you. ‘Sweet Tooth’ is about the world returning to that kind of place.
– Jeff Lemire
Remember life is a whimsical journey, live it to the fullest and don’t give a fudge about what anyone says.
10 Replies to “Oh My Fudge!”
I can’t remember when was the last time I ate fudge. My mouth is watering. Thank you for the recipe. Xxx
You’re welcome! Enjoy! 💖
I am so sorry that you were a target for this horrible crime. Thank you for the tips! I need to be more aware of my daily surroundings too. Sending you so much love. 💗💗💗💗
Hi Angel. Thank you for all your support. I hope to create awareness with this post so that it doesn’t happen to someone else. Please be safe out there.
Oh my word Taryn! I had no idea about your incident from a few weeks ago… that sounds awful! I’m so glad you’re okay! Arrrg, this time of the year is the pits. If it’s not robberies it’s people driving like lunatics and accidents on the road. The silly season is here!
Keep being you and keep shining, you’re doing GREAT!
And I can’t wait to see where you’ll be a year from now… 2018, exciting times!
(Mmmm you’re making me want something sweet now, that fudge recipe looks heavenly!)
Hi Melanie. It happened so fast and was so unexpected, but then again that’s the point to be quick about it. As I mentioned in this post “once bitten twice the wiser!” I don’t understand how people can steal from or harm another person! I really hope this post helps someone or prevents this from happening to them. Please be safe this festive season. As always I love hearing from you. Your support and encouragement means so much…Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing where we will both be a year from now. The possibilities are endless! ☺
Oh no Taryn, so sorry to hear about what happened to you at the ATM. It sucks! Thank you for the safety tips.
Hi Melissa. Thank you. Please be safe out there!
thank you so much for sharing amazing details,keep up dear… 🙂 🙂
Hi. Thank you so much for your positive feedback. ☺