If baking is any labour at all, it’s a labour of love. A love that gets passed down from generation to generation.– Regina Brett
- 60g soft margarine
- 100ml castor sugar
- 3ml vanilla essence
- rind of half a lemon
- 250ml flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 4 granny Smith apples (depending on size) or 1 small tin of pie apples
- 25ml water
- 30g margarine
- 3ml ground cinnamon
- 1ml ground cloves (optional)
- 15ml castor sugar
- 50ml raisins
- 5ml lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a pie plate.
- Cream the margarine and sugar.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and lemon rind.
- Add half the flour. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour as well as the baking powder. Mix well to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap one half in clingwrap and place in the fridge.
- Using the other half, line a small pie plate by pushing in the dough with your fingers.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Place in a saucepan with the water and margarine.
- Simmer until apples are tender. +/- 10 minutes.
- Drain off any extra liquid. Add remaiming ingredients.
- Place in prepared pie plate and grate the chilled dough over the filling to cover it totally. Alternatively you can roll the dough out and cover the filling. Cut off any excess dough around the edge of the pie plate. Using a star shaped cutter or any other shaped cutter, cut out as many shapes as possible from remaining dough and place on top of unbaked pie.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dredge with icing sugar.
Sometimes in this heat you don’t always want to be slaving away in the kitchen, so here is a quick recipe that literally takes minutes to make.
- 1 packet ginger biscuits
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 500ml full cream yoghurt (Any flavour)
- 1 tin condensed milk
- Crush ginger biscuits. Melt margarine. Bind the two together.
- Line a pie plate with the ginger biscuits and margarine.
- In a separate dish mix together the full cream yoghurt and condensed milk. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake in the microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- Allow to cool and put in the fridge.
- Once chilled add peach slices or any fruit of your choosing on top.
If you liked these then why not give A Delicious Delight for Every Appetite a try too.
I hope that your taste buds will be sweetly satisfied with these yummy treats. Please share your pictures and favourite baking recipes with me in the comments below, or drop me an email at email@example.com.
From your Whimsical Girl